Regardless of your political persuasion, it is likely that the election was a huge distraction for you and your clients. The good news is that now that the election is over you can move forward. Of course, this same thinking also applies to your clients.
However, as of today – Nov. 8, 2012 -- there are just 54 days remaining in the year. We’re talking about 39 working days. Planning to take some time off for the holidays? Take it down even more.
Essentially, it’s later than you think, which means it’s important to be clear and focused in terms of managing those remaining days of the year. Here are some thinking questions designed to provide some guidance, and prioritization, in what's important now.
Questions for financial advisors to re-gain focus:
- What is the most helpful objective that you’d like to accomplish this week?
- Which career or business issues need to be planned for, or acted on immediately?
- What is the most helpful objective for you, and your team, to accomplish by year-end 2012?
- What challenges, concerns, achievements, or areas of learning need to be addressed immediately?
Do you have clients who seem even more distracted than you? Consider reframing the questions above to help them gain clarity.
Questions for clients to re-gain focus:
- With the election done, what financial issue concerns you most?
- With the distraction of the election over, is there an outstanding financial issue that you have ignored over the past few months?
- What is the most helpful thing that you and I could accomplish together by year-end 2012?
- What financial challenges, concerns, or planning issues need to be addressed immediately?
When we conduct our ClientWise research on the most successful financial advisors and their teams, a few factors stand out. One of these is that the best-of-the-best have the ability to remain extremely focused and goal-directed under the most distracting of conditions. Moreover, when the best DO get distracted, they are highly attuned to their lack of focus, and can pivot quickly toward a much more productive direction.
We trust that these questions are helpful to getting you more clear and focused...and will put you in the frame-of-mind to finish 2012 running at full tilt!
For a complimentary ClientWise Learning Tool on how financial advisors can implement processes that complement the Fiduciary Standard, please download below: